If Only...

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kids' shows that aren't painful to watch!

To me, one of the ultimate perks of being a parent is getting to watch children's programming without people assuming you're

a.) a pervert
b.) a stoner
c.) mentally-handicapped.

In high school, I enjoyed having "Teletubbies" on in the background when I studied, and I took Spongebob Squarepants sheets with me to college. So for the edification of those of you blessed with kids, but not a love of children's programming (yet), allow me to present:

Kids' shows that aren't painful to watch!



Spongebob Squarepants. This one is pretty obvious. Everyone has at least heard of the show, and it's long had a cult-following amongst all sorts of subcultures. Honestly, at this point, I think they're writing it more for the adults than the kids.

Imagination Station. The kid-friendly boy band guys of this show are like the Wiggles' much cooler older brothers. And they come across as straight, which is just gravy, since one's kinda cute. (He looks a bit like the character Lindsay from "Angel".)

Ni Hao, Kai-Lan. "Dora the Explorer" but Chinese. And with a main character you don't want to punt. (Bonus: Unlike the dangerously unsupervised Dora, the grandpa features as a main character in this show.)

Wonderpets. Oh my goodness. "Wonderpets". Where do I begin? Okay, how about if I told you that, without the use of illicit drugs, you could watch a classroom pet turtle, duck, and guinea pig fly around in a popsicle stick boat saving animals in need while they sing all their lines operatically. This is possibly the greatest thing on television. I may take a break from writing this just to watch an episode.

Yo Gabba Gabba. If you've read even a few of my posts, you know about my love for all things "Yo Gabba Gabba". The awesome, catchy music is what makes this show win out. No one in my family can sing the line "There's a party in my tummy..." without at least three other people chiming in, "So yummy! So yummy!" And the style! My son wears a DJ Lance Rock-style hat to church. Everything about this show is subversive pop culture success, and I love it.
(Check out the crazy episode where North Carolina native Amy Sedaris plays the world's most terrifying tooth fairy.)

So 'fess up. What are the kids' shows you enjoy, possibly more than your children do?

No comments:

Post a Comment