If Only...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Post exchange: I still don't know exactly what "cricket" is as a sport.

I'm not going to lie. When I first found this cricket blog, I thought perhaps it was an auto-generated blog. It's not that there's anything especially wrong with the writing; some of the sentences are a bit run-on, perhaps, and the syntax is structured oddly. But there are also an inordinate number of links, as well as running news feeds pertaining solely to cricket. So I looked into the author's profile.

The differences in language structure were quickly explained. The blog is written from India, and is written quite well, when you take into account the vast disparities in language between English and Hindi. (In fact, the author writes English as second language far better than too many Americans do their primary.)

The other thing which is very obvious from the author's profile is that Pramukh loves cricket. *They have two blogs, both about the sport, discussing such intricacies as after-match interviews with team captains and batting line-ups. (Is cricket like baseball? I HAVE NO IDEA.)

And I find all of it fascinating. As Americans, we love to razz our European friends about their devotion to "football" (soccer) "clubs" (teams). But at least we have a pretty good handle on what soccer is, even if we don't know all the more minor rules.

But cricket? I could explain curling to you better than I could cricket. But the author of this cricket blog is crazy about it. Which kind of makes me want to watch a game (match?) just to see what it's all about.



*Forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea whether Pramukh is a traditionally male or female name, hence my use of the gender neutral "they".

No comments:

Post a Comment