If Only...

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Not exactly the look I was going for...

A few years ago, when my husband and I were newlyweds, I worked for a bit at a tropical fish store.  I was good at my job, and enjoyed it, but one of the biggest hassles was keeping my almost waist-length hair out of the tanks.  It was so thick that binding it up tight, like in a bun, was just about impossible (at least without snapping a few hair ties in the process).  I most commonly resorted to either braiding it, or tying it back in a ponytail, with hair ties segmenting it every few inches down, to keep it manageable.

My husband, at the time, also had awesomely long hair, but his is naturally curly and highlighted, so he always looked like an '80s rock-god type.  We made the decision for both of us to cut off our hair and donate it to Locks for Love (a charity that uses donated hair to make wigs for cancer patients).

For a long time, I loved my spiky short haircut.  Because my hair was so thick, I could keep it chin-length in front, buzzed short in back, and just run mousse through it in the morning.

My husband, too, looked very handsome with his new, more mature hairstyle.  We figured we'd both just keep growing our hair back out to donate again.

And his hair looks great.  It's a little bit shorter than shoulder-length now, all curly and highlighted, and makes him look like a surfer or something.

As for mine, well, I'm kind of wanting my Locks for Love donation back.

One of the nice (:sarcasm:) things about ovarian loss is all the crazy hormonal side effects that conspire to turn you into an old lady.  In addition to all the pseudo-menopausal mood swings and hot flashes (not to mention our good old friend, fertility issues), is hair loss.

Now, this is the part where I have to clarify and explain that, no, I don't look like I'm midway through a round of chemo.  Most people, especially those who didn't know me before I got sick, would never realize that I've experienced any significant hair loss.  However, to those who have known me for a while (like me), it's noticeably thinner than it was a couple of years ago.

And, because I still haven't gotten over that shallow/vain aspect of being human, it really bothers me.  I pretty much never wear my hair down anymore, and part of the reason I dye it now is because it's so much thinner than before.  (In addition to my hair being way more interesting when it's bright red, hair dye makes your hair coarser, giving it the appearance of additional thickness.)

Hmm...I wonder if, as a preemptive measure, I could go to a wigmaker, have them shave my head, and then just make me a wig from my own hair?  It would be a lot less work getting ready in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment