If Only...

Thursday, June 30, 2011

So...when am I supposed to get divorced?

As some of you have probably heard, New York just became the 7th state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

One of the republican senators who voted in favor of the proposal explained that, while he was raised Catholic and believed that same-sex marriage was wrong biblically, he did not see any reason why it should be prohibited legally.

This is something I can completely agree with.  There are lots of things that I don't do because I'm a Christian.  However, I don't feel it's my right, in a country that was supposed to have been founded on freedom of religion and separation of church and state, to impose my beliefs on non-believers via legislation.

So, for me at least, that knocks out one of the major arguments that opponents of gay marriage use.  However, that still leaves the other big argument, one I've always found amusing...

Allowing gays and lesbians to marry will destroy the sanctity of marriage and lead to an increase in divorce!

Yes, apparently allowing couples who have been monogamous for decades the same legal rights as people like Britney Spears, with her one 24-hour "just meant as a joke" marriage, and Rush Limbaugh, currently on marriage number four, apparently letting homosexual couples into the same exclusive club as these people, somehow brings the heterosexual majority down.

Let's not kid ourselves.  Heterosexuals tarnished marriage just fine on our own looong ago.  Were it not for the fact that marriage provides basic legal protections and deserved rights, I'd be surprised the homosexuals (and bisexuals, transgenders, whoever) still want anything to do with it.

So, anyway, let's pretend that total strangers getting married somehow affects my marriage with my husband.  When do we get divorced?  Do we have to wait until the majority of states allow gay marriage, or all of them?  Do we just wait until North Carolina legalizes same-sex marriage?  What if all the surrounding states legalize it first?  (Ha!  Just kidding.  We know South Carolina will just try to secede from the Union again.)  Should we give it a few months for our marriage to suffer an inevitable decline?  So, what, 6 months after NC starts issuing marriage licenses to ALL consenting adults, regardless of gender, my hubby and I hit up the divorce attorneys?

No.  Because it's a remarkably stupid argument.

Here's an idea...If you're against same-sex marriage, don't get one!  You'll probably never even have to witness a gay marriage ceremony in your life if you don't want to.  (Trust me, I doubt many of those couples have you on their invitation list.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Love the dig about SC. Too true.

Anonymous said...

Same sex marriages adversely affect heterosexual marriages in the same way Native Americans trespassed on the land of the settlers before the settlers had a chance to come over here and claim it.

Rush Limbaugh is on wife #4? There REALLY ARE are some desperate women out there.

Post a Comment