If Only...

Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweet, sweet freedom...

I love my son.  Looooove him.  He is the coolest kid to ever exist.  He's sweet, funny, bright, handsome, and popular.  And not in a "look at the cute baby way" but popular like a varsity quarterback.  Everyone knows his name and wants to hang out with him.  He is the man.

And, every once in a while, it's really nice to have a day, or maybe a half-day off work to hang out with my miniature best bud.  We can cruise the mall, hit the playground or the pool, and it's all good.

If he's feeling well.  The problem is, the last two days, he has been home sick from school.  And he really is sick, not just "got the sniffles and just want some time with Mom" sick.  So I've been home with him.

And when my son gets sick, he gets clingy with me.  Very high-maintenance and needy.  He wants to be in my lap and/or have my total attention every second when he doesn't feel well.  My husband is his hero, and when he feels well, he'll chill with Mommy a bit, but it's really Daddy's attention he craves.

But when he's sick, forget about it.  Daddy is essentially useless.  Even if Daddy tries to cuddle him to get him sleepy before bed, like they do every other night, my son wants nothing of it.  He'll try to scramble down to come sit with Mommy.

And again, I love, love, looooove my son, but his needing me to entertain him 24/7 is exhausting.  Being home without another adult to talk to (and worrying about the state of my inbox and how much work will be waiting for me back at the office) just makes the minutes craaawl.  And there's only so many times I can read "Things that Go" or sing "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" before my mind snaps and I suffer a major break from reality.

So I'm very happy to report that my son is feeling better and returning to preschool today, allowing Mommy to get back to the office.  Honestly, I really need the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment