If Only...

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Don't worry. Be happy.

When I was thinking about what I'd like to write on, there have been so many things in the news lately that have made me so angry, and so many things in my life that aren't going well just right this second, that I had a hard time sorting through them all.  Do I want to talk about how Richard Dawkins is an even bigger jerk than anyone realized?  Or all the things that are so wrong about the Casey Anthony verdict?

Or maybe I could just whine about how miserable I am that my baby is sick and has to stay home from school, or that the new interest rates almost doubled my student loan payment.

But I'm not going to do that (at least not today).

See, at LifeGroup last night, we were talking about encouragement, and the effects of our words.  One of the things that was brought up was how no one wants to be around a complainer.  I don't want to be a complainer.  I want to live in joy, and be a light for Christ.  I can't do that if no one wants to be around me.

So, here is my positive take on the things that I was going to be upset about:

Yes, Richard Dawkins is a big jerk.  But his new barrage of jerky acts are only serving to highlight his jerkiness for those people who had been overlooking it, and maybe when everyone accepts just what a jerk-face he is, people will stop buying and listening to his hate-filled poison.  Maybe he'll even realize he's being a jerk and will repent and turn to Jesus.  (Not likely, but we can hold out hope.)

Casey Anthony, in all probability, got away with murder.  But hopefully this case will illustrate the need for earlier intervention in child abuse prevention, and help neighbors, friends, relatives, etc. realize that, if you suspect a child is being abused, you have to speak up before it's too late.

Okay, it's hard to see anything good about my baby being sick.  But he gets to have a day with his Daddy all to himself, and they were even talking about, if he feels better enough in the afternoon, going to see a kids' movie at the $1.50 theater.  So, hey, that's a screening of "Rio" that Mommy doesn't have to sit through!

And, yeah, it sucks paying $150 a month towards student loans instead of $80, but that just means I'll be through with them faster, right?  (Please tell me that's how it works!)

AND at least I'm one of the lucky people who has a job and can therefore pay my bills at all.

See?  Lots to be happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment