If Only...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Cute

I know posts have been short and less frequent lately.  I've not been feeling well, and I've just been exhausted.  Really and truly wiped out.  But, since I like to keep a connection with my (dozen or so) readers, here's the quick rundown of my last few days:

The Good.  I had an awesome birthday, and my family spoiled me rotten.  I got some really nice clothes for work, some new books (some of which I've already finished), and a "Glee Presents:  The Warblers" cd which, between my husband and I, has already been played almost to death.  (One of the songs is Darren Criss singing "Do You Think I'm Sexy?", the answer to which should be obvious.  Why, yes Blaine, yes I do.)

My husband got me my favorite present, opening night tickets to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:  Part 2" in 3D IMAX.  The best part was he put them in an "acceptance letter" from Hogwarts, stamped with a Hogwarts seal and everything.  It was very creative and obviously took a lot of research and effort on his part.  Only my hubby could find such a cool way to give me movie tickets.

He also took me to this awesome authentic Mexican restaurant where we ate way too much, and then out to drinks at this cool bar in walking distance.  It was there I discovered my new favorite drink:  7&7.  It's just whiskey and 7-Up, but I love it.  Simple to make, and drinking whiskey always brings out my Don Draper side.  I asked my husband if he would take a break from cooking dinner every night to greet me at the door with one when I got home from work.  I also asked if he would wear an apron whilst doing so.  He said he would continue to cook my meals and mix my drinks, but aprons are out of the question.  Fair enough.

The Bad.  I have felt like crap the last few days.  I'm exhausted (like, came in to work 2 hours late yesterday exhausted), I've had a scratchy throat, and I keep getting random heat flashes, like I'm running a low-grade fever.  Given my health history, it could be anything from a summer cold, to cancer, to monkey pox.  I'm kinda hoping for the monkey pox.  Summer colds are the worst.

Also, my son apparently finished his growth spurt in time to start not feeling well, himself.  Despite the fact that he has been sleeping through the night roughly forever at this point, he woke up just shrieking around 1:00 a.m.  Nothing would soothe him, and we finally just let him sleep with us.  It made for an exhausting night (toddlers never stay still, not even in sleep), but he was in a great mood when we woke up this morning.  But I think that's mostly just the novelty of getting to solve the great mystery of what Mommy and Daddy do before they come get him in the morning.  (Like all great mysteries, the answer is pretty disappointing:  pee, shower, get dressed.)

The Cute.  I entered my son into a cute baby contest being put on by Gerber, and he got put into their gallery of potential winners.  If he wins the grand prize, he'll get a $50,000 scholarship and the chance to be in a Gerber ad campaign.  If he just wins for his category, Mommy gets an iPad2.  If he does well at all, I get to brag about how objectively adorable my kid is.  Win-win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment