If Only...

Monday, August 8, 2011

Sorry for the delays in programming...

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Basically, I have been exhaustingly, overwhelmingly, and, somewhat mysteriously, sick.

The deal is, I've been running a fever since Tuesday night.  It's been pretty unvarying; never lower than 100, only got higher than 102 once, briefly.  Not many other symptoms besides nausea and fatigue.  Dehydration, too, but that's more of a side-effect of the fever than a symptom of whatever is wrong.

Finally broke down and went to the Urgent Care Sunday morning, and they couldn't immediately figure out what's wrong with me (besides hey, duh, you have a fever and you're dehydrated).  They tested for strep, mono, and pregnancy, because urgent care doctors lack imagination (or they get trained at the same place as college health clinic PAs).

The one kind of funny thing that happened was when they were doing my blood test for mono.  Fortunately, they only needed a finger prick for that, so they didn't have to butcher my arms any extra.  The problem was that my dehydration and chills were so bad that they couldn't milk enough blood out of my finger.  It's like that line from "The Jerk":  "I cut myself shaving and nothing came out but air."

Of course, I was negative for strep, mono, and pregnancy.  (Again, duh.)  So they needed a vial of blood to sent out for white blood cell counts.  Only took them three tries to find a vein!

I don't get my test results until tomorrow, which is a little nerve-wracking.  "Good" test results would show an elevated white blood cell count, meaning I'm just fighting some infection we can't see, and they can clear it right up with antibiotics.  Awesome.

"Not so good" test results would show a normal or, worse, low white blood cell count.  The best-case scenario we're looking at in that situation would be some sort of autoimmune disorder (which would certainly fit with the health problems I've had in the past).  The worst-case scenario isn't worth worrying about until we have something to worry about.

So, my updates are being a bit spazzy.  If it makes you feel any better, I promise I haven't been doing anything fun in all this time I've been neglecting the blog.  I've mostly been sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment